The online versions of legislation provided on this website are not official. Enrolled bills are the final version passed by the Ohio General Assembly and presented to the Governor for signature. The official version of acts signed by the Governor are available from the Secretary of State's Office in the Continental Plaza, 180 East Broad St., Columbus.
S. B. No. 14 As IntroducedAs Introduced
|126th General Assembly|
Senators Hagan, Brady, Dann, Fedor, Fingerhut, Mallory, Miller, Prentiss, Roberts, Wilson, Zurz
To enact section 4729.90 of the Revised Code to create the Drug Importation Program.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF OHIO:
Section 1. That section 4729.90 of the Revised Code be enacted to read as follows:
Sec. 4729.90. (A) As used in this section, "public employee benefit plan" has the same meaning as in Chapter 3923. of the Revised Code.
(B) There is hereby established the drug importation program. Under the program, a public employee benefit plan that provides coverage for dangerous drugs may purchase drugs approved by the United States food and drug administration from a terminal distributor or a wholesale distributor of dangerous drugs located outside the United States that has been approved by the state board of pharmacy as a nondomestic distributor in accordance with rules adopted under this section.
(C) The board shall establish and maintain on an internet web site accessible to the public a registry listing each terminal or wholesale distributor of dangerous drugs approved by the board as a nondomestic distributor. The web site shall include the following information regarding each nondomestic distributor:
(1) The distributor's name, address, telephone number, fax number, and e-mail address;
(2) The name and, if the distributor is not the manufacturer, the manufacturer of each dangerous drug the distributor is authorized to sell under the drug importation program;
(3) The name and address of any agent of the distributor located in this or any other state of the United States.
(D) The board shall adopt rules in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code to govern the drug importation program. The rules shall include all of the following:
(1) Standards and procedures under which the board may approve a terminal or wholesale distributor of dangerous drugs as a nondomestic distributor;
(2) Standards and procedures governing a state employee benefit plan's purchase of dangerous drugs from a nondomestic distributor;
(3) Any categories of drugs or types of diseases for which a nondomestic distributor cannot receive approval from the board to sell drugs to a public employees benefit plan;
(4) Any other rules the board considers necessary for the implementation and administration of the drug importation program.
(E) On receipt of a request for approval as a nondomestic distributor, the board may conduct an inspection of a terminal or wholesale distributor of dangerous drugs. The board shall approve the distributor only if it meets the standards established pursuant to division (D)(1) of this section.